• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

All you diet gurus...input please

Status
Not open for further replies.

KStoner6tb

Bluelighter
Eating healthy is generally not a 'fun' way of life. True, the results are worth it by raising self-confidence and a sense of well being; but sticking to a diet is usually a pain in the ass and not too enjoyable.

Let's be honest here, most diet/healthy foods are bland, dry, or just flat out gross. I am always on the lookout for healthy foods, that are not completely disgusting, and maybe even taste good.

This is just an open call for any and all types of food, dressings, seasonings, etc that are actually pleasant tasting and healthy at the same time. Now I know everything's going to be different 4 people living in different areas, such as some people can get things others can't. Please give the actual brand names if possible.

One example off the top of my head is I cannot find a reasonably tasting low/non-fat ranch dressing. Now I know balsalmic vinaigrette or honey mustard would be an obvious choice, but I do like ranch dressing. Any low-fat ranch I've ever tried tasted watery and bland.

I know it's a very broad question, but just try to explain certain rare items in detail, ie. what they're used for, go with, etc...

Olive oil.... 'Tis well healthy and tastes great. The trick is not to go cheap! Unforunatly the best tasting are usually the most expensive and hardest to get. Hence why you should always have 2/3 different types. I use a cheapo one for cooking, a slightly more expensive one for salads and my super expensive one for dipping bread and bruschetta and other things where the oil is the dominant taste.

Unfortunatly because im in the uk i think all specific products would be useless....

Are you trying to lose weight or just BE healthy? I for one would never put "low fat" anything in my body. I'm 5'8'' and about 110 pounds and I eat lots of good fat. The body NEEDS fat. Thinking low fat = weight loss is the first mentality you should break, IMO.

I eat a high fat diet with no bread (no wheat period, in any form) and very little artificial sugar (the only time I think I get some is in ice cream). I don't drink soda, I don't eat candy, I don't eat any processed stuff.

Make diet about health, not "low fat" and you're on your way.

edit- I wouldn't eat ranch dressing at all. Its almost always FULL of MSG. If you want it I say find a way to make your own. No msg, one of the most horrid things you can put in your body.

MynameisnotDeja said:
Are you trying to lose weight or just BE healthy? I for one would never put "low fat" anything in my body. I'm 5'8'' and about 110 pounds and I eat lots of good fat. The body NEEDS fat. Thinking low fat = weight loss is the first mentality you should break, IMO.

I eat a high fat diet with no bread (no wheat period, in any form) and very little artificial sugar (the only time I think I get some is in ice cream). I don't drink soda, I don't eat candy, I don't eat any processed stuff.

Make diet about health, not "low fat" and you're on your way.

edit- I wouldn't eat ranch dressing at all. Its almost always FULL of MSG. If you want it I say find a way to make your own. No msg, one of the most horrid things you can put in your body.

Yah I see what you're saying, I should have been more specific. My goal is to actually gain muscle, while losing fat. I follow a strict weight, cardio, and diet regimen. My diet consists of high calories, high protein, moderate carbs, low fat, very low sugar, and low sodium. Actually, at this point I'm just trying to get as lean as possible without losing muscle mass.

I really never consume dressings anymore, but I can remember low-fat ranch being pretty bad. I'm aware of all the MSGs, and whatnot, and I prepare 90% of what I eat in my kitchen.

p-mo, thanks for the olive oil suggestion.

Hey there,

Heres my 2 cents on dieting.

Before I begin, I was an obese child and I am 18 now. I have lost about 80lbs in the 6 years of my life and it has been done through healthy dieting and exercise.

If you do not already know, a healthy lifestyle is based around what you eat. 70% of a healthy lifestyle takes place in the kitchen, 30% takes place in the gym.

Anyway, dont think of dieting as a harsh and arduous ritual of eating disgusting and gross foods. We should revamp the term diet into a lifestyle. If we remain believing that it is our diet that we must change, it will fall back on us, as healthy foods are generally not as tasty. Therefore, we must adhere what we eat into our lifestyle, but take it slow. Just like tapering off drugs, dont give up all your joys quickly, changing your diet may seem quickly but it is your lifestlye we need to change, even if it takes much longer, it will stay with you forever.

Now with that said, I surely knows what tastes nice and what doesnt, the inner fatty in me still knows what it wants, but here are some great healthy alternatives.

1. Protein shakes (whey, casein) They are high in protein, low in carbs and calories and often taste pretty good. They come in a variety of flavors and some of the creatives folks I've met use protein shakes with everything; some use it for cake icing, some mix it with oatmeal, just be creative.

2. Oatmeal. Yes, it sounds bland, but oatmeal mixed with some fruits, such as apples, bananas, can be a great combination. The classic brown sugar, cinnamon, apple, salt and milk combo is also very tasty. Give oatmeal a try, there are lots of creative recipes out there.

3. Eggs. Now eggs are great. Although the egg yolks are higher in calories and fats, containing about 60 calories out of the 76 (16 calories are from the white), just changing the egg white and yolk combo in your omlettes, and egg dishes can be another small step towards a healthier diet.

4. Oils. Now there are a variety of oils that are used for cooking. Olive, Flaxeed, Coconut, Palm, etc...
However, try to stick with vegetable oils, and if possible Canola or Olive oil. They are the best kind of oils and they contain Monounsaturated fats, which are actually good fats, which can AID in fat loss. Stay away from bad oils, such as palm, coconut and animal fats.

5. Meats. Trade in the fatty meats for the leaner meats. Trade in the darker color meats for the lighter. These simple things can lower your calorie and fat intake drastically, and honestly, there really is not a big change in taste unless you are a meat aficionado. If you still believe that they do not taste as well, try to substitute the lack of taste with a sauce or gravy. I often use salsa or some kinda of tomato based sauce.

6. Try different methods of cooking. I hate raw cucumbers, but I love pickles. I love raw carrots but i hate cooked carrots. Try different ways of cooking the same foods, some may taste better if cooked in a specific way.

I dont know if this is what you wanted, but there are some tips that I have used to become successful. Remember, eating healthier, and living with a healthier lifestyle isnt really hard, it takes time for you to adjust to your new foods, but once you do, you wont miss the junk food.

Nice post melar. Now I am no stranger to eating quite disgusting foods. From cold, boiled chicken breasts kept in an igloo cooler at school, to mixing tuna with soups. I've disgusted quite a few family members/friends with some of my meal selections of the years.:) But they just don't understand!!

I always kick off the day with a big bowl of oatmeal. I like to mix yogurt, and(as you mentioned) strawberries. You just have to careful of the sugar content contained by these additions.

Something I wanted to mention though, there's a new milk you may have heard of, called Moo-Topia. It's lactose free, has twice the normal amount of protein as normal 2% and slim milks, and over 60% less sugar!! Most people are not aware that milk does contain a lot of sugar, and if you're really trying to lean out, this can be a problem.

Yah I see what you're saying, I should have been more specific. My goal is to actually gain muscle, while losing fat. I follow a strict weight, cardio, and diet regimen. My diet consists of high calories, high protein, moderate carbs, low fat, very low sugar, and low sodium. Actually, at this point I'm just trying to get as lean as possible without losing muscle mass.

Minus the low fat part, that sounds pretty good. Fat doesn't make you fat.

You should consider taking iodine. It does wonders for your metabolism and the body as a whole.

MynameisnotDeja said:
Fat doesn't make you fat.

I know, I'm just saying, I try to eat healthy fats, nothing unnecessary(burgers, junk food, stuff like that)

Gotcha. I second melarsopral's comment about eggs. Get some good quality cage free, organic types of eggs and eat lots of them. I poach mine, well cooking the whites and leaving the yolks runny. This is the best way to eat eggs, as it prevents oxidation of the yolk and preserves the nutrients in their most "usable" form, and cooking the whites neutralizes the hard to digest proteins they contain. Lots of eggs cooked in this manner would be a very good thing for you, I think.

Also, get some extra virgin coconut oil and use this for everything you cook. Coconut oil is the BEST oil you can use, its absolutely wonderful for the body in so many ways, and it doesn't easily oxidize in high heat cooking. Very stable oil to make stir fry's and things with. It's good for the metabolism, and a staple "good fat" to go along with other good fats such as the omega 3's and 6's and what not.

Look into that, and iodine, and I think you will be on your way!

Thought I'd add another of my fav foods- marinaded anchovies. I'm not talking the dried up brown ones from tins and jars but ones that still look like fish. I get 'em from the deli section of my local supermarket. High protein, high fat, high taste- low carb. :)

p-mo said:
Thought I'd add another of my fav foods- marinaded anchovies. I'm not talking the dried up brown ones from tins and jars but ones that still look like fish. I get 'em from the deli section of my local supermarket. High protein, high fat, high taste- low carb. :)

Honestly, I've never tried anchovies, but I've heard they are quite an "acquired" taste:D

What exactly does iodine do?

KStoner6tb said:

I really never consume dressings anymore, but I can remember low-fat ranch being pretty bad. I'm aware of all the MSGs, and whatnot, and I prepare 90% of what I eat in my kitchen.

p-mo, thanks for the olive oil suggestion.

You're in the same boat as me Stoner...Trying to lose the extra bodyfat and really get those muscles to show without losing them!!! I've been following a super-strict diet for the last 3 weeks and it fucking sucks dude!!!

I can't find any decent tasting low-fat dressings either...I'm a champ when it comes down to eating plain tasting meals because I'm usually so hungry at that time I'll eat a cinder block....I just load up my romaine with chicken and no dressing...I've been going organic lately..If I eat any carbs, they are in raw almonds, walnuts, and flaxseeds...I've been eating lots of greens too. (broccolo, california spring mix, lettuce, celery etc..) Potatos are also versatile and good...If you're dieting you really just want a versatile food you can do a lot with like egg whites, potatos, chicken..

Hello,

There are many reads on lowering bodyfat and increasing/sustaining muscle mass. With weight training there are two phases.

1. gaining phase, for bulkier muscles, coupled with a rise in body fat.
2. cutting phase, for sustaining muscles and keeping the body fat off.

With the cutting phase, you must find out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) google will help with this, and then find out how many additional calories you need for your daily actives. Then deduct 500 calories each day from your total expenditure and you will be on your way to losing body fat. This is the most basic gist of it. If you're interested, I can explain this further.

Also, some good high protein low fat/carb food include tuna and salmon. Canned, raw, smoked, whatever, they are good for you. Rich in omega 3s and such, they are great foods.

Also, when eating carbs, avoid white/bleached carbs, as they have a high GI value, meaning that they take less time to be digested, and you will crave them more often. Try sticking with whole grains, oats, wheats, rye, pumpernickel, etc. Not only will they keep you filled for a longer time, but they are beneficial to your health.

KStoner6tb said:
Eating healthy is generally not a 'fun' way of life. True, the results are worth it by raising self-confidence and a sense of well being; but sticking to a diet is usually a pain in the ass and not too enjoyable. Let's be honest here, most diet/healthy foods are bland, dry, or just flat out gross.
I completely disagree. Eating healthy is delicious. You need to learn how to cook.
I can understand the negative slant on your statements when you are following a strict weight, cardio, and diet regimen.

Quinoa is high in protein and contains amino acids (gluten free). I mix it with black beans, diced tomatoes, green onions, garlic, jalapeno pepper, and chili powder. Or mix with diced onion, grated ginger root, green chili, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, and peas.

Eggs=omelets and frittatas.

Bison and ostrich...other lean meat alternatives. I have made grilled burgers and 5 bean chili with both. The chili can also be used to stuff burritos.

PM me for recipes.

Uncle Ben's Spanish Style rice is something I could eat everyday for lunch & dinner. 1 serving (about 1/2 cup) is around 150 calories if you don't make it with butter. And I personally think it tastes much better without anything added to it, the butter takes away its spicy flavour.

Also, my new favourite snack is carrots and salad dressing... calorie-wise caesar dressing that is!

Eggs are also good because they contain lecithin, which is a fatty emulsifier, so it emulsifies the cholesterol, making it build up much less on the artery walls. Make sure they're cage free, free range with a good diet. Good eggs like this have been proven to contain 2-4 times as much nutrients as conventional.

Also steaming is a good way to cook veggies and preserve the utmost nutrients.

Fried potatoes with onion, garlic, salsa, and nutritional yeast is real tasty.

are you more interested in a healthy body, a cut/ripped body, or something in between? I think concentrating on performance rather than look is the best way to a healthy looking/feeling body. What is your work out regime like? Is it based on functional strength?

Perpetual Indulgence said:
I completely disagree. Eating healthy is delicious. You need to learn how to cook.

That's the purpose of this thread; to learn some cooking suggestions as well. Don't tell me eating healthy is near as enjoyable as eating whatever you'd like!! You can't even make that claim. Foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt will always taste better than those without.

Perpetual Indulgence said:
The chili can also be used to stuff burritos.

Hope you're using corn tortillas. I rarely ever make burritos. Just eat the meat solo. Chili powder contains too much salt for my liking.

Mehm said:
are you more interested in a healthy body, a cut/ripped body, or something in between? I think concentrating on performance rather than look is the best way to a healthy looking/feeling body. What is your work out regime like? Is it based on functional strength?

Good question. I want to dip down in the single digit body fat %. However, I am an avid weight lifter, therefore I want to keep the majority of my strength. I workout one muscle a day, per 8 days; doing 20 mins cardio 5 days/week. I have complete confidence in my workouts and my basic diet. Just was looking for some additional tips reguardiing "different" food combinations, seasonings, dressings, etc that were low in fat, sodium, and sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.